Alcoholism being an addictive type of drug dependence is characterized by craving, loss of control, physical dependence, loss of control. The increased use of alcohol affects men’s health both physically and psychologically.
Statistics indicate that men are likely to be four times alcoholics than women. Alcoholism is a life-threatening problem that that develops after the repeated use of it. It leads to death specially after causing disastrous affects on kidney and liver, brain deterioration and internal bleeding. There are adverse affects of alcohol on men’s health leading to various health diseases and shortening the life span of the individuals.
– Alcohol in men can cause impotency. It increases the estrogen levels in men affecting the sperm development. It also has adverse effects on the levels of the hormone.
– Alcohol abuses causes brain damage and leads to destruction of brain cells. A toxin damages the transmission of nerve impulses in the nervous system. It causes chronic damage manifested both physically and psychologically in the behavior of the person. Physically it is manifested through numbness of hands and feet and in blindness.
– Psychologically it affects the men’s health mentally by causing intellectual disabilities, confusion, impaired learning and a condition known as delirium tremens in which the person experiences anxiety, trembling, rapid pulse and hallucinations.
– Alcohol causes liver disorders. It damages the liver causing liver hepatitis, an inflammation of liver. Symptoms include nausea, fever, jaundice, or yellowing of skin, tenderness, abdominal pain, and mental confusion. Hepatitis further leads to chiriosis causing liver failure, liver cancer, and death.
– Alcohol causes chronic inflammation and gastrointestinal problems. The inflammation of the lining of the stomach leads to ulceration, which disrupts the digestion of the food. Perforation of stomach and intestine interferes with the absorption of vitamin B. These infections are associated with poor diet malnutrition leading to diseases like pneumonia, kidney failure and pancreatic.
– Alcohol leads to cardiovascular problems. Excessive damage leads to high blood pressure damaging heart muscles and putting you at an increased risk of cardiac arrest and failure.
– Excessive alcohol causes sexual problems affecting men’s health mentally. The most common effect is erective dysfunction in men disrupting his sexual performance.
– Alcohol is bad for diabetes patients. Alcohol prevents the release of glucose from your liver and increases blood sugar levels. Diabetic people already taking insulin to lower blood sugar should avoid alcohol to prevent themselves from further deterioration.
– Alcohol increases risk of cancer. Chronic use of alcohol leads to cancer of esophagus, larynx, colon, and liver.
Apart from these, there are other complications and adverse affects of alcoholism on men’s health, which also affects his family largely.
• Domestic household abuse, which can lead to divorce, self-harm, and violence
• Poor performance at work affects men’s health.
• Increased risk of drunken driving leads to accidents and arrest.
• Increased susceptibility to accidents and injuries
• Increased susceptibility to murder and suicides
Alcohol intake affects men’s health mentally. Excessive intake causes depression, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and other mental disorders shortening the life span or leading to mental disability. Steady drinking can lead to increase risk of developing dependence on alcohol and causing adverse affects on men’s health.
Health and legal problems prompt treatment of alcohol. However many counselors who teach in recovering from alcohol from different situation have triggered its use. Treatment is beneficial if the person himself cooperates and gives his best.